...Ottawa Fire Memorial...
The Fireman's Memorial is located on Court House Square in the
200 block of Main Street in Ottawa, Ohio. The sculpture depicts a uniformed
fireman holding a young child in his left arm and a kerosene lantern in his
right hand. Originally the base had four drinking fountains, as requested by the
Putnam County commissioners. The bronze eight-foot-high (2.43 m) firefighter
figure is mounted on a ten-foot (3.04 m) iron rectangular base with curving
sides and beveled edges. The bottom of the base at the sidewalk level is 40" x
40" (101.60 x 101.60 cm). The base was contracted locally to Falke Brothers &
Kerner Monument Works of Ottawa and the statue was sculpted by J. W. Fiske of
New York . The Memorial was dedicated on November 25, 1915. The total cost of
statue and base was $885.
The memorial honors John Krieger and Joseph Hermiller, two
firemen who died on January 6, 1911 while fighting a fire in a blacksmith shop.
The electrical lines outside the shop, used for street lighting, were burned or
broken off. When the sparking wires hit the water-puddled ground, firemen were
thrown in all directions. In addition to the two deaths, several firefighters
were injured. On January 7, 1911, a group of citizens started to raise funds for